April 20, 2008

Stampin' Up! Envelope Pouch Challenge

Yesterday, our Stampin Up Demo *Jason* gave us all an ivory envelope, showed us how to punch the corners with the tag punch, and then challenged us to create a finished design for the next time we meet. I knew if I didn't complete this challenge right away, I would probably forget to do it, so here it is! :)

It's my understanding that Jason saw Shelly Gardner, CEO of Stampin' Up, demo this cute and clever envelope basket/pouch, but I'm not exactly sure if that's where the idea originated. I googled "envelope basket" and found a terrific tutorial on a wonderful blog Stampin Project Junkie by Amanda Collins. She calls it an envelope pouch. You'll have to check out her blog and especially the photos of her stamping room. It's so beautifully organized!

First of all, seal the envelope and stamp on it if you want. I stamped the front and back with the canvas background stamp and river rock ink. Then, using the large tag punch inserted in as far as it will go, you punch each corner twice. (to get the length) To decorate, I cut a 2-1/4" wide strip of groovy guava the width of the envelope and layered on a 2" strip of the ginger blossom designer paper that wraps around the envelope. I zig-zag stitched the layers together and then attached it to the envelope. The tag was created using three punches: 1-3/8" & 1-1/2" circles and the scalloped punch. The sentiment is from the Lots of Thoughts set. You'll notice I masked off the saying on the very bottom to allow it to fit in the circle. I don't have any groovy guava ribbon yet, so improvised with some twill that I ordered from Taylored Expressions. It might be a bit more orange, but it blends. :)

I think this would make a perfect gift card holder, especially for all those graduations coming up! Yesterday, I ordered the Great Grads set and can visualize the tags made with the G circle. What are some other ways they could be used? I would love to hear your suggestions.

Are you having a good weekend? I'm glad I accomplished something yesterday, because today I've been quite a flaneur. :) Happy Stamping & Smiles 2 U!




Quote for Today ~
Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

Word for Today ~
flaneur \flah-NUR\, noun: One who strolls about aimlessly; a lounger; a loafer

p.s. If you're still reading... I just searched the gallery at Splitcoaststampers and found over a hundred different envelope pouch/basket/bagalope creations. Check it out!

6 comments:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Beautiful card, Pam.

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Pam, this is wonderful! Your group sounds like such fun and what wonderful creative challenges!

As always, beautiful work.

Jennifer :)

Sherri Thacker said...

This is so cute !!! :)

Nancy Riley said...

Love your envelope pouch, Pam! Very cute!

Michele Kovack said...

This is really cute!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

This is fabulous, Pam! I LOVE it!